Friday, January 30, 2009

THE MOUSTACHE FROM AN ERA GONE BY

In a world where men are often limited at fashion trends and hair styles, those we are able to sport should be worn and executed well. It’s obvious that the moustache is back and hotter than ever. Pay attention guys. This is not just any moustache! What we see on the runways are sleek, tapered, gentlemanly moustaches, reminiscent of a romantic era gone by.


I was so inspired by the new look that I decided I would create one of my own. Being a hairstylist one would think it would be easy, right? Sorry to disappoint you but I had a little trouble on my own trying to identify the right shape and size for me. After doing a little research I found the most inspiration came from the men of the pre-war era. As I slowly became comfortable with my new facial hair I was further inspired by other trends of that era and decided that I needed a new hair cut that would compliment my new facial hair. The next day, while sitting in the chair at the salon and discussing my new look with my hair stylist and friend Kaz Suzuki, I realized how lucky I was to be able to explain exactly what I wanted. This prompted me to reach out to you men and give you a break down on how to ask your stylist for this cut and some styling tips.



Here are the steps you should follow on getting the right hair cut to compliment your new moustache. The idea is to be able to work with your natural hair type utilizing hair product making it your best friend. When getting this cut, ask your hairstylist to avoid using hair clippers when cutting the sides. Clippers will make the edges too structured. Although it is a sleek approach you still need to have movement in the connection to the sides and the top. I recommend using scissors for the sides first, cutting the top second and leaving the front for last. The idea is to have a slight disconnect from the top of the hair to the front and that's why I will cut the front last without perfectly blending the two areas together.



THINGS TO ASK YOUR STYLIST

1) Ask them to cut with where you part your hair in mind. If you have a side part, cut your hair with a side part.
2) Save thinning shears for last, you don't want to make the hair too wispy. You will need the bulk for styling purposes.
3) Watch out for cow licks at the crown of the head. Because the top and front is long there will need to be a connection to the back. If you cut the back of the crown too short cowlicks may keep popping up spoiling the look at that back
4) Tell your stylist to keep in mind that you would like to wear your hair dry. Although it is a sleek look, the option to wear it dry by slightly changing the product you use will be amazing.

PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS

I would recommend using a gel and a cream combined. The gel alone will be too hard. Also, when the gel dries, if you (or someone else) decide to run your fingers through your hair for a softer look, the dried gel may get flaky and too full. The cream alone is too soft and will not be strong enough to hold your hair. One product really supports the other. For the men who like pomades or pastes, the Shu Uemura Shape paste is the best.

STYLING TIPS

Depending on the thickness of your hair, you can use your fingers alone to style it. I like using a comb first to get the product through evenly. Then I run my fingers through to give my hair a softer look. Remember the more natural oils in your hair, the better this style will look and hold.

Copyright © 2009 Antonio Gonzales, All Rights Reserved

1 comments:

Tierra M Wilson said...

Rock the 'stache! I think it would be fun (and maybe more cost effective) to trim your own facial hair. I found some cool blue titanium thinning shears that would be good for all the hair on your head! Be creative!

http://www.salonhive.com/ninja-shears-5-5-blue-titanium-cutting-and-thinning-shears.html